Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> MCL Tear 2nd or 3rd degree, Treatment

2girls
post May 3 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #1

User Level

Group: Members
Member No.: 115,674

Three weeks ago I went to the ER after stopping very suddenly while running playing softball. They told me it was probably a MCL tear. No MRI. Just XRAY. Nothing broken. I got crutches and immobilizer. I could not walk. When it happened I heard it pop and so did others. It was excruciating. I iced it a lot for a week and stayed totally off of it for 2 weeks. My swelling is better but there is still some residual swelling. Up until last night, I have done no ROM exercises. I have only done leg lifts, calf raises...stuff that doesn't require the knee to bend. I am lucky if I have a 45 degree bend in my knee right now. I can't full straighten it either. I did some squats with my back against the wall last night and also when sitting in a chair scooted forward with my feet planted. I did it to a point of discomfort but not beyond that. This morning my knee seems more swollen. Also, there has been continued swelling at the top of my knee on the outside of it (anterior lateral apical). I understand swelling remaining in the medial portion where my MCL is which is still tender to pressure by the way, but why is there still swelling in the anterior lateral apical portion of the injured knee? I have been walking arouind without the immobilizer or crutches today and yesterday, but it is a limp. I can put all my weight on the hurt leg (Left one). But my ROM is so limited. I am very distraught about this and need to know what to do to make this better. Of course I can't pivot or anything and a couple of times it has felt like it wanted to give out on me because I moved too quickly and mindlessly moved it a way I probably shouldn't have. I hurt it at night almost every night by jerking in my sleep and wake up in pain. I don't sleep with the immobilizer on. I am very disturbed because I have heard so many conflicting stories.

Thanks so much for your response.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
petedoan
post May 23 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #2

User Level

Member No.: 117,155

Hi 2girls,

I just recently tore my MCL and PCL.

If I were you I'd have gotten a second opinion, from a speciallist or surgeon. Maybe you've done more to your knee than they thought. They misdiagnosed my PCL, thinking it was only the MCL.

If you tore only your MCL, i'm sure by now, it's doing much better. The best advice I have based on my injury and things I've researched is to be dilligent with icing (even long after the injury) so long as there is still swelling and pain...and PT, light PT without any pain inflicted. Ice it by completely wrapping your knee with frozen peas (big costco bag peas) and leave it on for at least 20 mins, no longer than 30mins. And do this a few times a day, especially after PT. Research range of motion exercises online. For flexion, just lay on the floor both legs extended, and then drag your heal (bad leg) towards your bottom until you feel a little stretch in the knee (not pain) hold it for a few seconds then return to the original positition. then repeat about ten times.

Let me know how you're doing, now that it's about 6weeks after your injury.
I'm curious. It's been 9weeks post-injury for me, and I'm still limping a bit, but I also tore my PCL, so I think I'm in worse shape.

Good luck.
Pete
+Quote Post
Kavkazzz
post Aug 15 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #3

User Level

Member No.: 153,530

I tore my MCL and Meniscus in my left knee like 8 years ago. My left leg atrophied to like 19 inches or something like that it was horrible. I could not even squat the bar when I came back and I walked with a limp for like a year. People thought that was the way I walked lol. Eventually I worked my way back and through the weight lifting and therapy I managed to get my strength back even though my knee still hurt from time to time really bad. Now I hardly feel any pain in my knee. I regularly squat with 4 plates and feel no pain, and sometimes I forget that I blew out my knee. It just takes time and hard work but you can get back to where you were before and even better. Good luck
+Quote Post
SpokanePT
post Jun 29 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #4

User Level

Member No.: 154,661

I hope that by now your knee is doing well, but it seems as though this should have been looked at by a professional. Internal derangement type injuries can take a very long time to heal if you are trying to go the non-surgical route. The most important pieces of the puzzle in the early days are getting the knee straight, using an assistive device to reduce limping, and icing for 15 minutes at a time as needed. Hope everything went well for you.

Acceleration Physical Therapyin Spokane, WA

--------------------
[URL=http://www.accelerationphysicaltherapy.com]Acceleration Physical Therapy Spokane [/URL]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 02:15 PM