Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Value Of Patient Education

admin
post May 9 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #1

User Level

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Please use this area of the forum to comment on the article "The Value Of Patient Education."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
yawadza@yahoo.com
post Nov 17 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #2

User Level

Group: Members
Member No.: 107,959

I am an OT who graduated two years ago, I read an article about the differences between OT and PT posted on your website. As a recent OT graduate, it is fair for me to inform you that OTs don't just evaluate and treat. As an OT, you are required to have an extensive knowledge of the musculoskeletal, nervous system and nervous tissue, reflex activity, gross anatomy of the bone, etc. OTs are more than just evaluating and treating. If you really beleive that OTs just teach patients about ADLs, why then will PTs be making referrals for OTs for patients with upper extremity musculoskeletal injuries?
+Quote Post
admin
post Nov 27 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #3

User Level

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hi ...

In support of the article in question, to the best of my knowledge and with my personal experience in training to be a physical therapist side by side with individuals training to be occupational therapists there appears/appeared to be more extensive training for physical therapists when it came to 'musculoskeletal, nervous system and nervous tissue, reflex activity, gross anatomy of the bone, etc.' I personally agree that OTs also have extensive knowledge in this area but i believe the typical physical therapy degree is somewhat more extensive in those areas.

OTs certainly don't just teach ADLs and I don't believe that is what is stated in the article. If that is the impression that it gives then I agree with you that it is not accurate.

QUOTE(yawadza@yahoo.com @ Nov 17 2007, 06:40 PM)
I am an OT who graduated two years ago, I read an article about the differences between OT and PT posted on your website. As a recent OT graduate, it is fair for me to inform you that OTs don't just evaluate and treat. As an OT, you are required to have an extensive knowledge of the musculoskeletal, nervous system and nervous tissue, reflex activity, gross anatomy of the bone, etc. OTs are more than just evaluating and treating. If you really beleive that OTs just teach patients about ADLs, why then will PTs be making referrals for OTs for patients with upper extremity musculoskeletal injuries?

+Quote Post
kcrosby
post Feb 2 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #4

User Level

Member No.: 145,769

I couldn't agree more! Patient education is so important. Does anyone have a great resource that they direct their patients to? Besides the worn out copies of exercises... smile.gif
+Quote Post
Mavenlive
post Jul 6 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #5

User Level

Member No.: 154,682

Patient education is critical to improve the outcomes of your patients. Patients need to fully understand what they are doing, and even why they are doing it. This helps with the 'buy in' of the patient with their individual treatment plan.

It is important to not only show a patient how to perform an exercise, but to educate them as why it is effective.

Kcrosby - you asked for a resource other than the worn out copies of exercises. Mavenlive Physio Software is just what you're looking for. Rather than using copies of ancient exercises, Mavenlive lets you customize and tweak every exercise in the system. You can also create your own exercises from scratch.

This removes the repetitive task of crossing out limbs and redrawing them where you'd like them to do.

Also along with each exercise is a patient rationale which you can use to inform the patient about why they are doing this exercise and why it is effective. There is also a professional rationale which help give the therapist a reminder of why this exercise is effective.

Mavenlive is not just exercise software. It is much more. It also allows you to record your patient assessments online and have appropriate exercises suggested to you. It acts as a clinical decision support system.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 01:14 AM