Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> NPTE, Why is so difficult?

Guest_Zaida_*
post Jun 10 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

sad.gif I'm a PT from Puerto Rico. I graduated in 1988 I worked there for 10 years I moved to Us for personal circuntances. For 3 years I submitted my application for NPTE test and the Regulation office went back and forth asking for papers. I gave up and them accept my application I had to take the test without preparing myself well I failed. I tried again and study hard but failed . I still have one more chaance I'm being out of practice for six years I need help to study and pass this test I need recomendations and help. anybody that live near Chicago area recently graduated can let me borrowed books or materials to study and pass this test.
Thank You
God bless you all rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 11 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Dear Zaida,

I'm not from Chicago/Chicago area, and I took the Boards a long time ago, but when I was a PT student/new therapist, I worked with a PT who was from PR who had some of the same problems you are having now. Her issues with the exam seemed to have stemmed from language issues and from lack of familiarity with the way tests are written here/experience with US test-taking techniques rather than from lack of PT knowledge per se.

At the time I took the Boards (pre-computerized exam) you could go to the state capital and see the questions which were marked as being answered incorrectly. One of the times my colleague took the exam was when I took it, so I remembered one of the questions she was marked down for. Her problem was that although the answer she chose was NOT incorrect, there was a BETTER answer. She answered other questions incorrectly because, although her English was very good, she sometimes misinterpreted some words, so a question that required her to know the meaning of the word "empathy" led to disaster.

I don't know whether there is now any mechanism in place for finding out what questions you answered incorrectly, so you can find out the areas in which either your knowledge is weak or whether you need to brush up on your test taking techniques.

Best of luck!
Karen
+Quote Post
Poster
post Jun 12 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

Someone gave me this advice to pass on:

"If the PT knows O'Sullivan's Study Guide for the NPTE, they should do fine, the manual also has 3 practice exams. I would also recommend taking the NPTE practice exam online, it's about $70."

Good luck!
+Quote Post
cowboybuboyb
post Jun 13 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

Hi! You can go to www.therapywizards.com.
Download the free NPTE tips from the download section. It might help you a lot. The ebook discusses about some of the technics on how to pass the exam and what books to read.
If you need more help, email me at ronald456@yahoo.com

QUOTE(Guest_Zaida_* @ Jun 10 2005, 08:43 AM)
sad.gif I'm a PT from Puerto Rico. I graduated in 1988 I worked there for 10 years I moved to Us for personal circuntances. For 3 years I submitted my application for NPTE test and the Regulation office went back and forth asking for papers. I gave up and them accept my application I had to take the test without preparing myself well I failed. I tried again and study hard but failed . I still have one  more chaance I'm being out of practice for six years I need help to study and pass this test I need recomendations and help. anybody that live near Chicago area recently graduated can let me borrowed books or materials to study and pass this test.
Thank You

+Quote Post
helper
post Jun 13 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Here is some more advice from the PTHER email list:

"Hi,

I would recommend that the PT in question contact the
following website, www.therapyteam.com. It is the
website of a company that assists therapists in
passing the NPTE. I personally did not pass my boards
the first time around, but after attending one of
their live sessions, not the web based classes, I felt
confident and obtained my license.

While I will admit that it is pricey and does take 9
days to complete, it may be well worth it.

I would also like to state to the list, that I am not
employed by the company and am in no way going to
receive any renumeration for this posting."
+Quote Post
post Aug 4 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

I just passed last month. I used the O'Sullivan book. Just practicing taking the tests helps a lot. Good Luck.
+Quote Post
timothyteach
post Sep 13 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE(Guest_Zaida_* @ Jun 10 2005, 08:43 AM)
sad.gif I'm a PT from Puerto Rico. I graduated in 1988 I worked there for 10 years I moved to Us for personal circuntances. For 3 years I submitted my application for NPTE test and the Regulation office went back and forth asking for papers. I gave up and them accept my application I had to take the test without preparing myself well I failed. I tried again and study hard but failed . I still have one  more chaance I'm being out of practice for six years I need help to study and pass this test I need recomendations and help. anybody that live near Chicago area recently graduated can let me borrowed books or materials to study and pass this test.
Thank You

+Quote Post
tim
post Sep 13 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

We are doing a seminar in the chicago area starting on the 17th that will address your issues in regaurds to the exam and preparation. call our office 312-455-1940 for more information
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 04:59 AM