Physical Therapy Web
>> Go To Physical Therapy Web HOME PAGE <<

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Getting into PT school, How hard is it?

Mrs. Watkins
post Mar 29 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I was wondering how hard it is to get into physical therapy school, and also how hard is it to finish? Do you have to have a lot of chemistry and math? I love biology and other forms of science, but I am not so good at math and chemistry. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some general information on the schooling for PT's, thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maureen
post Apr 7 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Hi -
+Quote Post
Maureen
post Apr 7 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Hi-
i was wondering the same thing - I currently have a BS in Economics, an MBA in finance and a Masters in Marketing - I have always been physically active and had an interest in PT and would like to pursue this as a career but I do not know where to begin or what it would take in terms of schooling - Thanks for any help !!
+Quote Post
Maggie
post Apr 17 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Hi

I am actually about to graduate from PT school in Boston and I thought I might have some insight for you. Entrance into the programs is pretty competitive all around since most schools are transitioning to the DPT program from the MSPT programs (6-8 years). As far as Chemistry and Math - not a ton. I had to take three chemistry courses including organic chemistry, but it was geared toward health science majors, so it was far more applicable than other OChem courses. I was required to take one math course (calc. or algebra) and we took two physics course, all intro and geared toward health sciences. Physics was probably the most applicable of the three. I decided on an entry-level program because they seem, to me at least, more comprehensive and the programs I researched had a greater passing rate of the Board Exams if they were entry-level MS or DPT. My class started with about 120 students, and we've nearly cut in half with around 70 left. One recommendation I have if you are thinking about PT schools is to go for the DPT since that is where everything is going, and to visit the schools more than once and talk to the students there. I also recommend getting into a program that provides a lot of field experience like internships or Co-ops. My experience with PT students not at my school is that they are not nearly as prepared to be in the clinic or on affiliation if throughout their schooling they haven't been working in the field as well. Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
admin
post Feb 18 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #5

User Level

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Mrs. Watkins...

You may want to consider reading the article on Becoming a Physical Therapist located here: http://automailer.com/tws/becomingATherapist.html

Thanks for participating in the Physical Therapy Forum.

admin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:14 PM